Friday, October 3, 2008

Union Oyster House Clam Chowder, Modified Everett Style

As promised, you will find the recipe for my mom's clam chowder below. To be fair, she found this recipe at the Union Oyster House while traveling in Boston when I was a kid. She has modified it, and I have modified it further. As I mentioned before, this chowder is worth the effort and perfect for a fall day. Enjoy!

1/4lb salt pork or bacon (I have used both and prefer the bacon)
2 small onions - diced
1c butter
1c flour
1 large (51oz) can of clams
3 8oz jars of clam nectar
20 fresh clams (or however many you prefer)
2 pints half and half
2lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
salt and pepper to taste
dash of Tabasco
dash of worcestershire sauce
dash of Tony's Creole Seasoning

Brown bacon, and onion and cook until glassy. Add butter and heat until melted; add flour a gradually, stirring constantly with a whisk. Do not brown the rue. Add half and half, clams and juice. Stir slowly to avoid lumps. Add potatoes, Tabasco, worcestershire, and Tony's. Simmer until potatoes are soft. Add the fresh clams 10 minutes before serving and cook until they open. Serve with bread or in a bread bowl. Garnish with a dash of Tony's. ENJOY!

*I like to cook my potatoes on the side while prepping everything else so you don't have to simmer the soup as long.

No comments: